Gum Grafting and Contouring
It is a process that has been observed in many of us: as we age, our teeth appear longer. How is this possible?
A bit of gum recession is actually quite common in everyone. However, periodontal disease, vigorous tooth brushing and aggressive teeth grinding may be other causes as to why your gums are receding. In case you have delicate or thin gums, tall or triangular teeth, your risk of having gum recession is higher than other people’s.
Is this condition a big problem?
When left untreated for a long while, gingival recession may become the cause for a slew of other problems, such as:
- Stained teeth
- Uunusually longer teeth appearance
- Unproportional smile
- Tooth decay
- Buildup of plaque
- Erosion of teeth
- Tooth fracture
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Loose teeth
How is this condition treated?
If your gums are receding rapidly, do not leave it unattended. You can consult any of our dentists to get a correct assessment. Our dentists are experienced in cosmetic gingival procedures, which will help modify or regenerate the soft tissues present. The procedures involve the use of microinstruments, and requires precise surgical skill. There are many different ways in which the gum grafting and contouring procedures can be carried out, such as:
- Free gingival graft: The complete thickness of the gum needed is removed from the upper layer of soft palate, and it is then sutured to where the gum is receding.
- Connective tissue graft: Same as the free gingival graft, however the tissue taken is from underneath the soft palate tissue.
- Vestibuloplasty: This is a process where tissue tensions and muscle attachments on thin areas are relieved so that further recession is prevented.
- Alloderm graft: This is a process where donor-based tissue is used of in place of the patient’s tissue so that a second incision is avoided.
- Coronally repositioned flap: The specific area is lifted, and then it is sutured in order to give it a new position.
- Leukocyte and platelet-rich fibrin: A special substance rich in various growth factors is prepared from the white blood cells and fibrin of the patient’s blood during the surgery. This surgery helps in reducing defects related to the regeneration of gum tissue.