Sleep Dentistry and Sedation
Why only dream of having a beautiful smile, when you can dream while getting a beautiful smile?
What is IV sedation?
Everyone needs a good sleep. Sleep dentistry, also known as twilight sedation, is a kind of advanced form of pain relief that dentists use in some dental procedures. This eases any discomfort or pain that you might feel. It is similar to anaesthesia, in that you might feel as though you have been in a very deep sleep through the entire process. This allows the dentist to quickly and painlessly do their work without any distractions.
Am I suited for it?
There are many reasons as to why you might prefer being unconscious during a dental procedure. Maybe you have had a bad experience in the past and now feel anxious about visiting the dentist. These are a few of the more common reasons why some patients opt for sedation:
- Low pain threshold
- They want to maximize the number of procedures they can do in one sitting
- Sensitive gums and teeth
- Have trouble keeping their mouth open while conscious
- Strong gag reflex
- Scared of needles going into the mouth
- They are having oral surgery such as bone/gum grafting, removal of wisdom teeth or dental implant placement.
After the procedure
- You must not drive after you’ve had IV sedation, so you will need to have someone come collect you.
- We recommend that you rest for the remainder of the day. Avoid strenuous activity.
- You should have someone watch over you while you recover
General anaesthesia will need to be paid to the anaesthetist either before or on the day of the procedure.
Afraid of the dentist?
Almost all patients who come to us have avoided visiting the dentist for one reason or another, and fear is a common occurrence as far as dental surgery is concerned. A few people might have inherited this fear for dentistry from the fear their parents had, or from a previous bad experience, or from some of the traumatic stories that others have shared with you. In case you are one of those who is scared of visiting the dentist, you definitely are not the only one.
In case it is this fear that has been the cause of you putting off your visit to a dentist, then you must come meet us! We are an approachable team that will interact with you in a relaxed environment and will try to make your experience as comfortable as possible. Our team possesses the skill and experience to reassure any nervous patients.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, we encourage you to discuss these matters with an appropriately qualified health practitioner.