Treatment of Gummy Smile
Gummy Smile Treatment Perth
Whenever you smile, what is seen very clearly? The teeth and gums, of course! But are you worried about having too much of either in your smile?
A few people do not like the show of their gums when they smile. This may make them feel embarrassed and may push them into avoiding smiling altogether. There is no reason to worry about this any longer; pay a visit to our experienced dentists and they will help you feel more confident with your smile.
Gummy Smile Scale (courtesy of Dr Kurpis, USA)
What are the reasons for having a gummy smile?
- When the upper lip is short, it fails to properly cover the upper teeth and gums.
- When the lip is hypermobile, that is, it moves excessively back and forth, sideways, and in all directions, extra gum is easily exposed.
- When the front two teeth have grown out, or there is an over-eruption of these teeth, the gums show.
- When there is an incomplete eruption, the gums show excessively.
- If there is an overgrowth of the upper jaw, the gums show. This is called vertical maxillary excess.
What are the methods available to treat a gummy smile?
- GUM REDUCTION SURGERY: At Clear Choice Dental we can offer two direct surgical options for correcting gum aesthetics. The first is a gumlift, where the upper lip is anchored closer to the teeth to prevent the upper lip being elevated too high. The second option we offer is called crown lengthening, where the gum and underlying tissue undergo reshaping. The gumline is essentially cut away from the teeth to make them appear longer. This procedure is suitable for those cases where the teeth are found to be extremely short in their appearance.
- ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERY: This procedure is performed by a maxillofacial surgeon and is not offered at Clear Choice Dental, however we can provide a referral. The surgery involves moving the upper jaw upwards which reduces the amount of gum and tooth on display. This surgery is considered to be a very invasive one but is also ideal for those who have jaw alignment discrepancies.
- ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT: We will refer you to an orthodontist for assessment. Leveling of teeth is done with the help of braces and an optimal gum display level is achieved. This is a non-invasive procedure, wherein gummy smiles are corrected. This treatment is done slowly, so you may not see the end result for quite some time. Through this procedure, other issues like misalignment, crowding, overbite and underbite can be corrected.
- BONE REDUCTION: Also called alveolectomy. This is one step further from the crown lengthening procedure. The bone on either side of your teeth are reduced, effectively shortening the gumline. This method is found to be ideal for those patients who are suffering from gum disease or extensive dental complications.
- MUSCLE RELAXERS: These can be administered to the upper lip muscles, preventing them from being raised when you smile. While this is not a permanent solution, it is quick and very affordable.
- LIP REPOSITIONING SURGERY: Through this procedure, those muscles that bring about lip elevation are severed. This will not bring an elevation of the upper lip while smiling. This procedure is an irreversible one and is considered to be ideal for those who have hypermobility of their upper lip.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, we encourage you to discuss these matters with an appropriately qualified health practitioner.